Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve is supported by a team of passionate volunteers. They work alongside Council staff to provide a welcoming and informative experience for visitors to the Rainforest Discovery Centre. Their pride and enthusiasm for this remarkable rainforest is through the canopy!
We thank all our new and continuing volunteers for their valuable contributions.
Are you interested in becoming a Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve volunteer?
- Visitor information – Volunteers welcome visitors from around the world and provide information about the reserve to enhance their experience. They also assist with visitor health and safety messages and adherence to reserve rules. If you enjoy meeting and talking to new people then the Rainforest Discovery Centre visitor information role is an ideal opportunity for you.
- Rainforest guide – Guides provide educational tours through the rainforest reserve for school, community and tour groups. Guides share stories of the plants, animals and fungi that make the reserve special. For school groups particularly, this is important knowledge for primary and secondary education.
- Educational displays – Discovery Centre volunteers can assist with the development and installation of interpretive displays.
- Scientific research – Periodically scientific research is undertaken to help build our understanding of the species and ecological relationships that occur in the reserve. Where possible volunteers are invited to assist with and learn from this research.
Expectations and support:
- Volunteers must undertake an induction program prior to commencing.
- Regular meetings, workshops and newsletters are provided to help support volunteers in their role.
- Volunteers are encouraged to undertake at least one, four hour shift per fortnight.
- Volunteers are invited to undertake additional training to become a rainforest guide after 12 months. Rainforest guides must hold a positive Blue Card for working with children or be able to apply for one.
If you would like to become a volunteer, please submit your interest here.
Council hopes that you will enjoy and learn from your experience while helping to protect Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve.
You will encounter plenty of wildlife in the reserve. Don't get too close and do not feed them. We thank you for helping to protect our native fauna by leaving them alone.
Learn more about wildlife at the reserve View more