Join us in counting the Sunshine Coast’s butterflies. You can record a butterfly sighting anytime during the count period (12-20 November 2022). Your observation can be from anywhere within the Sunshine Coast region - your backyard, school or local park. You don’t need to be a butterfly expert, anyone can join.
- Download the free BioCollect app from Google Play or App Store.
- Search for the Sunshine Coast’s Big Butterfly Count in Projects.
- Click the + symbol in the top right corner to add your record.
- Select your location via the map or add coordinates manually.
- Scroll through the images of butterflies and enter the number observed in the count field.
- Hit the orange submit button at the end of the list to contribute your record.
This app focuses on the 31 most common butterfly species found in the region. If you have observed a species not on this list, please take an image and record via the iNaturalist app. Add your observation to the count by searching for 'Sunshine Coast Big Butterfly Count' in Projects.
Download the Sunshine Coast Big Butterfly Count butterfly identification brochure.